Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Swollen drew claw

Customer Question

Swollen drew claw
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Usually when you have a claw get swollen like you are describing then that typically means there is an infection in the nail bed or claw itself. Sometimes it can also occur if there has been trauma to the nail. This is not a problem that can be treated at home. I would see your vet and have them decide whether or not antibiotics are needed ( which they almost always are) . Also anti-inflammatories will likely be needed as well. If not attended to properly I have seen dogs lose their whole toe over this sort of thing. I hope this helps you and please let me know if you need further help. Most Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. THank you very much.