Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is extremely hyper. He won't settle down. He barks

Customer Question

My dog is extremely hyper. He won't settle down. He barks all the time. He bites my butt often when I leave. He is extremely squeamish and runs and hides. He "steals" stuff and hides it. He licks me and others too much. I want to get him on meds. How can I do that? Can you prescribe? He's 6-7 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question about Tucker. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...

What kind of dog is Tucker?

How much does he weigh?

How much exercise does he get daily?

Have you had him since he was a puppy?

Is he neutered?

Is he crate trained?

Has he been to obedience classes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's a Yorkie Maltipoo. He weighs abt 6 lbs. he doesn't get daily exercise. He pees all over the house. (I live in an apartment so pad trained him.). I haven't taken him to obedience classes. He's neutered. I've had him since he was a puppy and recently learned he's from a puppy mill. He's 3 now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Often, he poops around the house too.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Does he follow commands from you?

How much time are you able to invest in training him?

Does he like other dogs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't like other dogs. He rarely follows commands. I can invest abt 15-30 mins a day training him, but it rarely seems to help. I think he has OCD from excessive licking. Can you prescribe him something?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no one out here will be able to prescribe any medication. This is because it's illegal to prescribe without an in person relationship...just like in human medicine.

I can offer training tips if you'd like those.