Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 47 lb. 1yr old lab hound mix ate a small piece of

Customer Question
halloween candy in its wrapper...
my 47 lb. 1yr old lab hound mix ate a small piece of halloween candy in its wrapper on our walk this morning. I think it was mounds, but not sure. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years and am trained in pet first aid for aiding animals in disasters. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Great, thank you!

What time was this?

Are you seeing any symptoms of illness?

about 30 minutes ago. No symptoms, I think she will pass it, but years ago I had another dog eat 9 chocolate cupcakes and the emergency vet told me to induce vomiting with peroxide. Just want to deal with this before she has an obstruction. I would speak her vet if it wasn't Sunday

Actually it is the chocolate (semis sweet) that is toxic to dogs so that may be why your vet had the dog vomit.

Was this a full size bar or one of the mini ones?

I think fun size about 1.5 inches. I'm not as concerned about the amount of chocolate as I am the candy inside the wrapper. If it was just a wrapper, I'm sure she would pass it and if it was the chocolate, probably not a whole lot of chocolate in that candy. If the wrapper stays intact it is about the size of a small matchbox car and probably not able to go through her.

If we go by the Hersheys chart is shows mounds normal bar serving of one ounce,

https://www.thehersheycompany.com/our-ingredients/what-we-believe/ingredient-information/ingredient-topics/caffeine-theobromine.aspx

Then we look at the toxicity chart for a 45 lb dog and there is virtually no risk . I would keep this chart handy for future use:)

http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

The fact that he found the wrapper and there may have been only a small piece he should be okay; If he at 2 oz then you should seek medical care.

different types of chocolate are more toxic than others

ok, thank you

You are very welcome

Hi Kathleen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
Sally G.
She is fine,thank you! I followed up with her vet on Monday and he pretty much said the same thing as you. Thank you!!

I am glad to hear that:)

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant