Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Yesterday my dog Oliver (5 YO Bichon) went to s groomer and

Customer Question

Hi. Yesterday my dog Oliver (5 YO Bichon) went to his groomer and had his anal glands expressed. I picked him up @6, fed him then took him to pee/poop @7:30. Up to that point he was normal and ate with his usual gusto. After he peed he walked a few steps then began to yelp and scream - very loud. He then almost immediately pooped in the middle of the sidewalk as he was walking, something he's never done (he's purely a grass pooper). After he pooped the screaming stopped. When I take him out to pee he is fine. He poops twice a day so he has done this now 3 times. This morning and tonight he yelped all the way to the grassy area where he poops (a block away) and ran to get there. Running for him is very difficult because he has the autoimmune disease IMHA and the steroids cause muscle weakness and he is generally tired (RBC stable and count was 41 at last check 10/21. His internist has been weaning him off meds every 3 weeks as he's remained stable.). Is it possible the groomer damaged his anal glands? She's been grooming my dogs for years.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Oliver has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

To be honest this is one of the things that makes me absolutely crazy about groomers. Dogs do not need their anal glands emptied manually unless they are showing signs such as dragging their bottom that would indicate there is a problem. As long as a dog has normal stool the glands normally empty on their own.

When groomers express the glands they do it externally ( unlike medical professionals that do it internally) When it is done externally this can lead to inflammation which can then make it painful when they pass stool. In some cases when this happens the vet needs to internally express them to relieve any pressure. In rare cases we have seen actual damage done to the anal glands if expressed improperly but that is not common.

If he is still behaving this way tomorrow I would give your vet a call and see if you can just stop by with him real quick and have the glands properly expressed. This does not normally require an actual appointment and it can just be done y a technician. In the future I would suggest asking your groomer not to express the glands.

Now it is possible that something else is causing him pain but I would expect to see that happen at times other then when passing stool.

I hope he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that I am compensated by just answer for assisting you this evening.

Candy