Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a very enlarged penis with some puss pockets on

Customer Question

my dog has a very enlarged penis with some puss pockets on the outer covering from him licking. it is very red and seeping.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You've described a balanoposthitis - infection of the penile sheath which is commonly found in male dogs - particularly intact male dogs - and tolerated as long as the discharge isn't profuse and our dogs or owners aren't bothered by the discharge. Ace, however, appears to be experiencing a severe balanoposthitis which should prompt a thorough examination of his penis under sedation so his prepuce can be rolled back to the point that the entire area can be evaluated for the presence of a foreign body or, less commonly, transmissible venereal tumor. The area is then thoroughly flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for a minimum of two weeks. In some cases neutering is necessary to lessen the amount of secretions produced in response to sex hormones particularly if relapse is seen soon after therapy as described.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I figured as much. He is intact and is our only Dane that has been for this long. Thinking he may need to loose a few things.

!!!!! Yes, I agree with you! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ace. How is everything going?