petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog is a shiba inu, s front right paw was swallow and

Customer Question

My dog is a shiba inu, his front right paw was swallow and red, so I took him to a vet, they have gave him oral antibiotics and steroid, it got better. But later on a lump grew out betweet the toes, so the vet have done a surgery to take thr lump out. But the wound was open a few days after they took out the stitches... the vet checked thr wound again and told us it waa healed and the open skin wont cost infection and they did a lacer clean, the wound closed later. After 1.5 month which is now, the wound appeared open again, and my dog started licking it, and its a bit swollen like a lump again. The vet suggested another surgery.... what would be the best solution at this point? Should I change another vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Was the lump sent out for analysis after it was removed so that we know what it was?

Has the vet done any testing of the new lump (like a needle aspirate)?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet said it didnt seem like a tumor, so they just removed the lump, and told me it could be infection. And now they suggested to do a biopsy to make sure its not a tumor.. which cost 150, and the new surgery will cost 200 after discount, they didnt say there was a needle aspirate was done or not, only suggested to do a surgery, to open it up and check deeper than last time make sure there is nth inside...
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

There is a skin condition called an interdigital cyst and that may be what Haru is dealing with. These are in inflammed cystic lesion that involves a enlarged or ruptured hair follicle between the toes. the often become secondarily infected and can take a long time to resolve (weeks) on the appropriate antibiotic therapy. It may be that it was simply not treated appropriately or long enough on the first treatement. The inflammed "cyst" can preset like a tumor or mass and can be difficult to differentiate from one. That is why it is a good idea to have the removed tissue sent out for analysis. In his case, I would definitely have at least a needle aspirate performed before proceeding with another surgery. If it is all due to inflamed tissue and this is a cyst, the aspirate will not be very helpful, but the purpose of the aspirate would be to rule out the presence of other types of cells, like cancer cells. If you do proceed with another surgery, I would make sure to submit that tissue for histopathology, regardless of what it looks like to the naked eye. Here is a link with more information about interdigital cysts. LINK HERE

It may be a good idea to seek a second opinion before deciding on a second surgery, preferably with a veterinary dermatology specialist.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yuerong,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Haru. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.