Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 4 year mixed breed dog is having trouble walking and

Customer Question

my 4 year mixed breed dog is having trouble walking and going to the bathroom . she wont jump and is very inactive
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
justwant my answer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Is she favoring a leg or limping?

Is she having issues with all her legs or just the back ones?

Is she wobbly?

Any history of trauma, injury, or falls?

Any acess to toxins (ie plants, human medications, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had these symptoms on and off for about 6 months ... about 2 episodes since the first time. She was xrayed and bloodwork done and the xrays showed a slight tightness between two vertebrae, but we were keeping an eye on it. bloodwork was fine at the time so she was treated with anti-inflammatories and pain meds. She has a habit of jumping off our bed - even though there is an ottoman there for her, she sometimes gets so excited she jumps right down - which I thought may have been the culprit of this episode. She is favouring her right side - mostly hind leg, no limping really, but was running almost sideways to me the other day. These symptoms have been since Saturday (4 days). She is wobbly today when she walks - and cannot squat to pee easily ... she has had bowel movements although again with difficulty squatting. She doesn't wimper or cry but looks at me like she doesn't know what's happening to her. She was shaking through the night and felt feverish - her tongue was hot when she licked me and her nose was dry. No access to any toxins that I know of - other than a few fungus type mushrooms that sometimes grow in our grass - but I keep an eye out for them and pick them out ASAP. Could this be a spinal injury/issue?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

So, she has had more then one episode over the past 6 months?

Is she currently on any medications?

I know you noted she was feverish last night, but has he ever had a fever when showing these signs?

(tongue temperature isn't diagnostic).

Does she ever hang her head? Or is she reluctant for you to move it for her?

Where was the tight vertebrae? In her neck or back?