Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We just took our 3 yr old lab to vet. She has a rock in her

Customer Question

Hello. We just took our 3 yr old lab to vet. She has a rock in her small bowel. It is large but smooth. How likely is she to pass on her own? We are doing IV fluids tonight....
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

So sorry to hear about Daisy's problem, I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This may not be what you want to hear I know but this situation is very clear cut. My experience is that with a dog the size of a lab unless this rock is significantly smaller than say a golf ball then there is a very real chance it will not pass on it's own but will cause an alimentary tract obstruction at the narrowest portion of the intestinal tract.

2. If this happens then your only hope will be surgery to retrieve it, perhaps your vet will let pay things of on a monthly basis if this turns out to be needed?

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Daisy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect intestinal blockage.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw your response. Thank you. The rock moved from her small intestine and she was able to pass it without surgery. Glad I waited.
Sara

Hi Sara,

Brilliant news! I am so glad, thanks for letting me know.

Kindest regards,

Regards,

Dr Scott