Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 6 wk old Doberman red. He has bumps on m. Sparse

Customer Question
I have a 6 wk...
I have a 6 wk old Doberman red. He has bumps on him. Sparse but all over. Some on head. Tail. Under arms. Back. None on legs
Like pimples or little warts. If I pick they seem to itch but he does NOT sit around itching. Also seems his coat is a different texture from our past dobies. His leg hair different than the other. The other seems course and maybe thinner
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
10/26/2015
Dog Specialist: Deana Marta,
 replied 2 years ago
Deana Marta

Hello

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your questions about Gunner. Based on your description, the first thing that comes to mind is hives but I would like to ask a few more questions to get a better idea of what the bumps look like. Do you notice any scabs or redness in the areas of the bumps? How big are they? Is there hair over the bumps or are they hairless? When did you first notice them? how many are there? Do they seem to come and go or are they getting worse?

Small like pimples. Some with hair over them skin colored not red they are
Noticed them a week ago they don't seem to be leaving but not getting worse
Dog Specialist: Deana Marta,
 replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your response! Based on your description, it sounds like it could be hives or a skin infection. Hives are typically caused by an allergic reaction. It was definitely a good idea to bathe with a puppy shampoo as this should help get any allergens off of the fur. The hives themselves are caused by histamine release from cells called mast cells and therefore an antihistamine such as Benadryl can be helpful. Benadryl can be purchased over the counter and does not need a prescription. If you decide to give it make sure the only ingredient listed is Diphenhydramine. The appropriate dose would be 1 mg per lb. For example a 25 pound dog would receive 25 mg (which is 1 adult tablet) and it is typically given 2-3 times a day. Unfortunately many times hives can be a bit difficult to treat and may require a course of steroids and even possibly an antibiotic. Both of these medications would require you taking Gunner to see his vet. If it is hives it is also important to try to determine what he is allergic to so that you can limit his exposure. If you can think of any new detergents that you may have used on his bedding, or any new plants in your yard that he may have been exposed to it may help to try to limit his exposure. Typically the allergy is due to a contact allergy but it can also be to ingredients in food or exposure to medication.

The other main cause of multiple small bumps would be a skin infection. When the skin gets infected it can cause papules and pustules to form. These are raised bumps that can be filled with pus (tend to have a yellow tint if there is pus inside). Infections can form spontaneously or due to any underlying skin problem such as allergies, mites, ringworm or endocrine problems. In puppies, they can get what is called puppy pyoderma which is basically a skin infection that tends to happen on the lower belly. I especially see this in dogs around their groin area due to urine sitting on the skin. If it is a skin infection, it can typically be easily treated with an antibiotic. It can also help to wipe the area with a baby wipe after urinating if he is prone to getting infections in that area. Sometimes medicated wipes are more effective but these would also need to be from a veterinarian.

I hope this information helps you!! Please let me know if there is anything that doesn't make sense or if you have any further questions!! I'm sure Gunner is an adorable puppy and it sounds like you are doing a great job with him!! :)

Dog Specialist: Deana Marta,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello, I just wanted to be sure that you received my response. I am very new to just answer so I am not 100% sure of how it works on the customer end but I have been having some trouble getting paid because people have not been rating me. I just want to be sure that you are aware that I need to be rated in order to receive payment. Thank you so much and I hope all is well with Gunner!

Dog Specialist: Deana Marta,
 replied 2 years ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gunner. How is everything going?
Deana Marta
Deana Marta
Deana Marta
Deana Marta