Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

How are y? My Maltese had a bacterial infection but has

Customer Question

Hello how are y? My Maltese had a bacterial infection but has cleared up. He apprx 7 . He is on keflex for 3 weeks. Been bathing him in fungas and Bacterial shampoo I. Now he has light brown pa ty patches on his bellie and under his arm pits. And around his and behind his penis. We are still bathing him about every 4 days. I would really appreciate your input.. thank yo uh!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The light brown patches represent healed and hyperpigmented epidermal collarettes which originally indicated your Maltese's bacterial skin infection. These began as pustules and then spread out in a roughly circular manner. The middle of the collarette quieted down and hyperpigmented due to the inflammation secondary to infection in the skin. The rim of the collarette can remain active and inflamed but it sounds as if his cephalexin (Keflex) has taken care of the infection nicely. The brown patches you're seeing are likely to be permanent skin changes. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thank y for the response. I s there anyway to help them to go away . Vitamin E. Oatmeal bathes? Could it in anyway be yeast on his skin. So It is not Contagiuos to other dogs or me. If I take him to the vet could he give something to help the skin. Question should I stop using the fungus and bacterial shampoo. What do recommend to use??¿ Again I thank you!!! Very much. "X

No, but the pigment may fade with time. Yeast may be present in some of those patches. His vet would need to perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface) to see if abnormal numbers of yeast are present. Because you've been shampooing him in an antifungal/antibacterial shampoo, I wouldn't expect your seeing yeast at this time, however. Unless you or your dog are immunosuppressed by disease or chemotherapy, no, he's not contagious to you. I would continue bathing at least once weekly. It's a good way to avoid relapse.

You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.