VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

I think my small poodle has eaten something that is stuck in

Customer Question

I think my small poodle has eaten something that is stuck in his stomach. He has not eaten anything for about 6 days. Had bloodwork done and is all fine. Had exray and showed all o.k. but possible shadow of something in the stomach. He had been throwing up, not pooped in days but is drinking water and is not in pain. What do you suggest is the next best step?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.

What you are describing is what we call a "foreign body obstruction" in dogs. If your vet believes that an obstruction is causing the signs you are seeing (and what you are describing certainly fits), really the only way to fix such an issue is through surgery. The vet will have to go in and physically remove whatever object is blocking the GI tract.

I know this is not the best news that you would like to hear, but time is of the essence in situations of an obstruction. If left too long, they are life-threatening. I think your best bet is to get Tobi into a vet clinic right away for treatment.

There is a link to an article about obstructions here: https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/gastrointestinal-foreign-bodies