Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

9 month old corgi mix already almost died with severe fever

Customer Question

9 month old corgi mix already almost died with severe fever 106 no eating or drinking twice in the last 2weeks. First episode landed him in vet for four days in IV fluids and antibiotics with MANY test ran and X-rays with no answers. Came home with antibiotics was fine for 10 days and it all happened again. This time showing right kidney swelling. All labs look normal and kidney ultrasound doesn't show fluid inside. He is now on 2 other antibiotics and is acting fine but his kidet is now so swollen I can see it bulging from his side and it feel hard as a rock and size of a tennis ball.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The kidney ultrasound didn't reveal hydronephrosis ("fluid inside") but what did it reveal which would explain such swelling? Can you upload a copy of the ultrasound report and his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. A congenital deformity, renal abscess or neoplasia (cancer) should be considerations.