How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16480
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Lakeland terrier has eaten chocolate frosting? I can't

Customer Question

My Lakeland terrier has eaten chocolate frosting?
I can't get her to a Vet as young children n baby are in bed 😔
Is there anything I can do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

How long ago did she eat it?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Do you know how much she ate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 20 minutes ago it was spilt 100g roughly split and she ate about 3/4 so 75g given her watered down 1/4 strength 12% to make it 4% gave her 10ml of the solution down throat with pipette
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello she is a Lakeland cross parsons weighing about 10 kg can you work out the toxic dose please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Obviously your dog didn't get anywhere near that amount, so I'm not so worried about it.

If this were me, I'd just keep an eye on her for problematic symptoms. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and, worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizuring or dying from chocolate.

I don't expect to see any of these issues because she really did consume a small amount of actual chocolate though.

I hope this helps.