Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed with a slow growing tumor in her

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with a slow growing tumor in her mammary glands a couple years ago. Recently another area has sprung up and has surpassed the first area in size in just a matter of months. She woke me licking herself nonstop. When I got up to look there was a good bit of blood. I cannot get it to stop bleeding. She still eats like a little pig but she is much more careful going down the step to go outside. I know I'll have to put her down eventually, but is there anything I can do now to stop the bleeding. It's a steady flow - not gushing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is not uncommon situation with growing mammary masses. This is because these masses can reroute blood vessels (and therefore be very vascular) but also stretch the skin to the point of ulceration. In this situation, we need to tread with care. If we have a steady flow, she may need to see her vet to at least cauterize this active bleed. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** first aid, we need to start by applying continuous firm pressure for at least 15 minutes. You can use gauze or a wash cloth when doing this. Further to that, you can get OTC silver nitrate (aka QuikStop) from your local vet or pet store. This is a topical treatment that can stop bleeding in mild cases. Otherwise, in a pinch, we can try using corn starch or even plain flour. These tend to help the platelets stop the bleed by acting as a clotting matrix. So, these would be our steps here. As well, an ice pack can help while compressing as it will constrict local blood vessels to slow the flow of blood.

Overall, this is a serious situation for your lass. We will want to start the above now to slow that bleed. But if it is too active, doesn't settle, or we have an open wound; then she will need to see her vet since it cannot be left in this state.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jewel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Be'la. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took too long to get a reply. I ended up having to put my baby down. She lost too much blood by the time the vet opened.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

The poor love.

These are never easy situations and it sounds like that was the only choice under the circumstances.

Please take care,

Dr. B.