Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Candy,
My dog is a 6 1/2 yr old Doberman and he got

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Candy,
My dog is a 6 1/2 yr old Doberman and he got weird sores all over his body. Took him to the vet and they gave him pills and wash but nothing is helping. They are getting worse and now his paws seem infected they are bleeding and puss is coming out
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Let me grab his pills real fast
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes I am
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on
Temaril-P
Cefpodoxime Proxetil 200mg
Anti itch shampoo
and anti itch spray
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I apologize for the delay I was away from the computer for dinner. I am sorry to hear that your dog is not doing well.

Can you tell me what medication they put him on?

What testing having they done?

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on
Temaril-P
Cefpodoxime Proxetil 200mg
Anti itch shampoo
and anti itch spray
Going on about two weeks on meds for about 1 week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet said it was maybe a food allergy but nothing has changed in his life and its just getting much much worse
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

OK I apologize for making you repeat the medication names for some reason that did not show the first time.

What you are describing sounds like an autoimmune disorder called Pemphigus.Unfortunately the only way to diagnosis this is via biopsy. I am going to give you some information on this to go over and I would suggest giving your vet a call tomorrow and ask about testing and perhaps trying an immune suppressant medication. Atopica works well for this condition in most dogs however some vets do prefer other medications. Click here for additional information

If your vet does not feel more testing is needed I would ask for a referral to a dermatologist.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

Candy