Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My dog is l6 and has kidny failure. She seems ok but I have

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my dog is l6 and has kidny failure. She seems ok but I have togive her a pill so she will eat. She sleeps all day and looks forward to going to bed with me. She wants to be with me all the time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ofcourse I don't want her to suffer and I wonder how you know when it is timeto let her go.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about your cat hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm sorry that you cat has been diagnosed with kidney failure but glad to know that she appears stable so far, at least.

As you might imagine, this question is one I get asked quite frequently since this situation is one which many pet owners have to confront.

This is always a difficult topic: “When will we know when it's time to let go?” and there isn't always a clear cut answer to this question in every case, unfortunately.
For me, it comes down to quality of life issues; this is the priority although often this is very subjective between individuals.

When contemplating this decision, I ask my pet owners to consider the following questions:

1. Does your pet have more good days than bad ones? Sometimes it helps to keep track of them on the calendar.
2. Do they still enjoy doing the things they used to enjoy doing (even if for shorter periods of time) or are they too painful, tired or weak to do so?
3. What is their attitude like? Are they lethargic/depressed or upbeat and enjoying interaction with the family?

I find that if you can answer these questions honestly and objectively, then it makes this most difficult decision a little easier.

My personal opinion is that it's best to let our pets with chronic illness go before they deteriorate too far, while there's still some dignity to their lives but this is only my personal opinion. For me, quality of life trumps quantity.

From the information you've provided about her, it sounds as if it's not time to say goodbye; I hope that's the case for some time to come.

I also hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb