Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think I overdosed my 75 pound dog with 76 mg of

Customer Question

I think I overdosed my 75 pound dog with 76 mg of acepromazine. He is very weak and doesn't want to walk. I gave it to him about 2 hours ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Teddy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca

That is a large dose of acepromazine for a dog his size. If you look at his gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale?

The big concern is low blood pressure. This amount of acepromazine will take up to a day or even longer to wear off. If this were my dog, I would check blood pressure, and start IV fluids if the pressure was really low.

Give me a moment to do a little more research about this high a dose of acepromazine with some toxicology and pharmacology experts. I will be right back.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

The research is what I already told you: this will take 12 to 24 hours to wear off, and low blood pressure is the biggest concern. There is no antidote, except to give fluids to maintain blood pressure.

Let me know his gum color, and if they look pale, I would consider taking him to an emergency vet to have his blood pressure checked.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Teddy doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?