Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 12 lb Maltese Mix just ate another gecko. It freaks me

Customer Question

My 12 lb Maltese Mix just ate another gecko. It freaks me out. She doesn't seem to have any effects. Can it harm her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. I know this is upsetting for you and you probably feel sorry for the geckos but actually it will not do your dog any harm, unlike some other reptiles and amphibians such as toads geckos are non toxic and my experience is this that this will not harm your dog in any way.

2. What you are seeing is really just a kind of natural hunting instinct, all you can do is to tell her off when she does this and eventually she might learn.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.