Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is chewing on its backside and tail to where its bald

Customer Question
in those areas I got...
My dog is chewing on its backside and tail to where its bald in those areas I got some advantage and it seems to show no changes what kind of stuff can I use to bathe her in
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
10/8/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Did you see fleas on the dog?

Are there any pustuals?

I did not see fleas but now I feel the bugs that are smaller than a Nat or a mite in my bed on me sometimes but can't see them just feel them all over me

Do you have any visible bites on you ?

I don't have any visible bites but I am itching like crazy and all three off my dogs have this what can I get to cure this problem and is it safe for a pit bull and a Chihuahua

You may have a flea problem if everyone is being bothered. to rid fleas you would have to treat all dogs for this. Generally a spot on flea product will continue to kill fleas for thirty days however it kills the biting flea, not the egs, so the biting flea may have produced eggs, died and not new fleas are born. You will need to treat the whole house and dog bedding. You can sprinkle flea powder on the carpets , floor, and furniture, then vacuum it up and toss the vacuum bag or they will sneak out of the vacuum and start again. You may have to do this a few times. To keep the pup from chewing the tail area put a cone on the dogs neck so she cannot chew the area. Usually dogs become allergic to the fleas saliva which causes trauma to the tail where the dog bites.

If you have used advatic on both dogs recently then you cannot use anything until the 30 days are up except a capstar pill which will kill the ones on the dog. You can get this at the vet.

When you do the home with flea power remove the dogs from the home until you are done. We don't want them breathing that in.

There are also bug bombs you can get at a hardware store. These get into the cracks and crevices of the home as well. The dogs should remain out of the home for this as well.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant