How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30356
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 13 pound dog just ate 200 m.g. of cefpodoxime intended

Customer Question

Hey, our 13 pound dog just ate 200 m.g. of cefpodoxime intended for our much larger dog. Is this a problem? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Please don't be alarmed. It's certainly an overdose but this isn't a highly toxic drug. Overdoses are unlikely cause significant problems but GI distress (inappetence, diarrhea, vomiting, and lethargy) are always possible with inappropriate ingestions. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner unless the unlikely profound loss of fluids and electrolytes arises due to excessive vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.