Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Idk what is wrong with my 11 month old Rottweiler, s right

Customer Question

hey idk what is wrong with my 11 month old Rottweiler, his right ear keeps bothering him and I checked for redness or a foul odor and he has neither of those. his ear isnt floppy like the other one either it's very horizontal and whenever i rub it he enjoys it very much but he is constantly shaking his head. what could be wrong ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on his signs and the lack of odor/redness on your examination of his ear, we'd be most concerned about a deep ear infection, a middle ear infection, or that he may have something caught in the bottom of the ear canal (ie grass seed, fox tail, etc). In this case, if he is amenable, you can try flushing his ear with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) or luke warm salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This can help flush out infection or anything caught and is the only safe option to use if we potentially have a compromised ear drum (a risk with his signs). Otherwise, if he won't let you flush the ear or doesn't settle after you do so, then we'd need to consider a check when his vet is open. They can look all the way to the bottom of the canal. If infection is present (in the external ear or in the middle one), this can be treated with antibiotics. But if anything is stuck, then Duke may need to be sedated to remove that and get him feeling better with this ear.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)