Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My westie ingested some plaster paris powder last night,

Customer Question

my westie ingested some plaster paris powder last night, about 1/4 cup. He is still throwing up. now. what should i do ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Did Faolan drink immediately after eating the powder last night?

Has he been vomiting all day?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if he drank immediately after. He got into it in the middle of the night He has been vomiting but only when he drinks a lot of water , which is not uncommon for him His belly is a little harder than usual. He doesn't seem to be in distress just uncomfortable
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

So he's been eating normally today?

Have you noticed if he's defecated today?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The plaster-paris was mixed with corn meal and sugar and milk. ( A supposed natural rat poison)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has eaten a few bites of food. I haven't seen him defecate today
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

There's really no toxicity when a dog (or a rat) eats plaster of paris...what we worry about is the possibility of an intestinal obstruction. When this happens, the dog (or rat) gets the plaster stuck in the digestive tract somewhere. It causes the motion of the digestive tract to grind to a halt, causing the dog (or rat) to die if it's left untreated.

Since your little Westie is showing signs of intestinal obstruction (vomiting immediately after drinking, the harder then normal belly), I absolutely think this is worth the drive to an emergency vet on a Sunday evening. If you're not sure where one might be in your area, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

A quick x-ray will tell us if there's an obstruction going on, or if he's just got an upset stomach...but I really, really think you're dealing with an impending obstrction.

I hope this helps.