Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Scab on dogs face

Customer Question

Scab on dogs face
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small dog. Japanese chin. Small face. Scab between eye and ear. Big and thick enough to pick at w a nail clipper. No active bleeding but pink exposed skin under scab
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. I'm sorry it's taken a bit for someone to get to you....experts come online at all different times of the day and night...I just logged in, saw your question and wanted to address you right away.

How is your dog doing this morning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's fine. Eating. Drinking. Acting normal. I was away for a week and he was with my dad (who loves them dearly) and when I got back I was petting his head and felt like his fur was matted. This happens a lot if they're not brushed daily but on his face? So I felt around and it's a scab. I soaked it and started to chunk it away and the size of it just bothers me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's almost his entire cheek between eye and ear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't like when I touch it but it otherwise doesn't seem to bother him
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So, from your description, it definitely doesn't sound like anything you really need to be too worried about.

Since you were gone for a week, and since I suspect he's not going to tell us how he hurt himself, we're just guessing at what caused that scab, but there are lots of things that could have caused it...bug bites, injury by something in the environment (like running into a branch or part of a tree) or even playing rough with other dogs.

The good news though is that it sounds like it's already well on it's way to being healed. That pink skin you described under the scab sounds like granulation tissue...that's completely normal and healthy to have under a wound like this. I'd only be worried if you notice swelling, heat to the area, discharge, or if he stops eating/drinking/behaving otherwise normally, as they can be signs of infection. It doesn't sound like that's an issue here.

I'd just give it another week or so and the scab will likely heal on it's own and fall off with no ill effects to your pup.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa