Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog just at a toothbrush - she's 10 pound Shitzu-Maltese

Customer Question

My dog just at a toothbrush - she's 10 pound Shitzu-Maltese mix, not sure when she did it, I just found out, but she hasn't eaten all day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for requesting me! Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

So it was a human sized toothbrush?

Does her belly seem hard to the touch?

Has she been doing any vomiting or atttempting to vomit with no success?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter's electric toothbrush - she ate almost all the bristols.
She has not vomited, but she hasn't eaten either - which by now she usually would.
Her stomach feels okay and she's acting okay.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

So she only ate the bristles, not the handle at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the bristles, she actually eats plastic a lot and has never had a problem, I was concerned about the bristles because my friends dog recently did this and almost bled to death. So I was freaking out.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

THanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

As a general rule, since those bristles are small and flexible, they pass through the system without any problems.

However, as your friend learned, sometimes they can perforate the digestive tract because they're little and irritating.

I don't feel like she needs to be rushed to an emergency vet or anything tonight since she's otherwise stable and not acting out-of-the-ordinary, but tomorrow I would give your vet a call just to be on the safe side to see if they want to shoot and x-ray to see if they can figure out where the bristles are.

It's good that she's not showing any symptoms...but it'll be best to have the vet do that quick exam tomorrow..just to be safe.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephanie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?
Lisa