Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog came back from looking in the bushes in the backyard

Customer Question

My dog came back from looking in the bushes in the backyard winning . Now, 2 hours later, she is very agitated and breathing very fast. I don't know what the problem is. Did she get bit by something and is having an allergic reaction? Can I give her cetirizine hydrochloride pill 10
mg??? She ways about 65 lbs. help me please I am very worried!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine health. Citrizing can be given to dogs, but a side effect is excitability. I would rather see Lola taking plain Benedryl if this is an allergic reaction. Benedryl can be given at 1-2 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours if needed. a 65 pound dog can easily take #2 (25 mg) capsules or pills to help. If you decide to use the Citrizine be sure it is plain and no decongestant and 10 mg can be given every once a day.

It is possible that Lola was stung and is having an allergic reaction, but she needs to be examined thoroghly to be sure it is not a snake bit scorpion or spider bite. If the medication does not help her within 30 mins of administering or she gets worse, I suggest she be seen that the ER Vet.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

I am checking in to see how your dog is doing today? Please let me know.

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Joan