Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has kidney failure and has lost her appetite. She

Customer Question
wants to eat but smells...
My dog has kidney failure and has lost her appetite. She wants to eat but smells the food and walks away. I read she may have an avid stomach. I have magnesium (gaviscon) for human acid reflux. Can I give the same to my dog in a small quantity?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/20/2015
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

There is nothing harmful in giving the gaviscon, but a more beneficial antacid may be one of the gastric acid blocker type products like Pepcid AC (famotidine). Often the anorexia seen in kidney failure is due to gastritis and an antacid may help. We usually dose at about 1 mg per pound that your dog weighs (and round down) to an available size that is available. This can be given twice a day.

You could also talk to vet about prescribing an appetite stimulant. Many of these dogs will also feel better and eat better if you are able to give fluids under the skin at home to feel the kidney values down. This is something that is usually easily taught and most dogs tolerate very well.

I would not advise using apple cider vinegar at all. Most dogs in kidney failure are a little acidotic (blood pH is too low) and the vinegar may only make that worse.

Here is a link with more information about fluid therapy at home.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=2596&SourceID=

I hope that this is helpful.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

The vinegar sounded wrong for exactly the reasons you state. Our vet suggested fluids under the skin so I am more confident knowing the same is in your suggestions.
I have a multi vitamin and it seems there could be a link to adding that and her loss of appetite.
She will go to the vet Monday and I hope we will have the fluids set up and the ok for the acid reducer you suggest. my son noticed she passed a small amount of strong bile bm and that confirms to me an acid stomach. (I have suffered with the same)
I want to do as much as I can for her to have some quality of life or be comfortable.
Does messing around with her diet contribute to her stomach as she has had several changes from kibble to soft food due to teeth, then soft food to k/d soft and dry Rx food, then home cooked rice chicken and vegetable with broth all of which she has lost interest in. She checks it out and walks away.
Please if there is anything else we can try for Teaka advise ASAP so I can discuss with family and our local vet. If I need further clarification I will be in touch.
If this will be a new charge let me know before any charge as we already have vet bills at our local vet. Your response has eased my heart though we are all concerned If possible reply to***@******.*** - my preferred account but just ask said I needed to choose a different one. Thanks Karen

Sorry for the delay, but I logged off before your reply.

The changes in food offered has little to do with her not wanting to eat. With kidney failure patients, it is more a consequence of the kidneys not keeping up with removing the metabolic waste from the blood and those rising levels lead to nausea and anorexia.

I am sorry but I am not able to reply in any other way but through this post.

Good luck with her.

petdrz.
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian