Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog had IMHA about 15 months ago and has recovered

Customer Question
Hello my dog had IMHA...
Hello my dog had IMHA about 15 months ago and has recovered seemingly fully (blood and urine tests every 3 weeks has been in the clear for a year). We live in an urban area, no real grass anywhere. We were taking a vacation tomorrow and a friend reminded me of the excess ticks in our destination. Frontline in combo with another few vaccinations administered simultaneously were the cause (acknowledged by a top vet school and 2 vets in NYC) for the onset of IMHA. Can you recommend something he could wear to walk in the grass a bit which is natural? Or best to leave in the house only?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/19/2015
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for your question about Schlom. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Where is your destination?

So the trigger for his IMHA may have been vaccinations and getting Frontline, and you are asking about what to do about ticks, other than Frontline?

Buck Mountain Parasite Dust is an herbal way to treat for fleas and ticks. It is a little labor intensive, you have to work it into the coat, but it is supposed to work well.

http://www.buckmountainbotanicals.net/treatments/parasitedust.html

Or, you could try a completely different tick product, such as Nexgard, Bravecto, or the Seresto collar.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Hello the only "natural" thing I could find at my local pet store in NYC was a spray of peppermint cloves and lauryl sulfate.I can't use chemicals, as they all seemed to be some derivative of what made him sick originally. Brewers yeast I found in pills.I am going to the hamptons, and a friend in Long Island had warned me he fleas/ticks were very bad this year. In my position what would you do?

I would get the Buck Mountain dust if you can. It is yarrow and diatomaceous earth. If you do not have time to get it, I would check all over for ticks whenever he goes out. I am not sure that peppermint and cloves and lauryl sulfate ( a foaming agent found in shampoo and toothpaste) will control ticks.

I like the Preventic collar, but it does have a miticide in it, called Amitraz. It will not control fleas, it is for ticks only.

Can I help with anything else? Was my answer helpful?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian