Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Just got my 7 week old mini aussie from a breeder, the same

Customer Question

Just got my 7 week old mini aussie from a breeder, the same breeder that I got my 7 month old male Aussie. My female 7 week old is not drinking water and does not seem the least bit interested in drinking it. She ate her food after we put water on it and it had absorbed the water. however still no drinking seems to turn her head away each time. What should I do get a bottle.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Did you just get her today? Did the breeder tell you what they were currently feeding her and if they were adding puppy milk or water? If you check her gums, what color are they? Do they feel wet or dry?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know exactly what the breeder is feeding her, which is what I am feeding her. The answer I want is how to get her to drink water
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

What are you feeding her? And are you adding water or milk? And do her gums feel dry or moist?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Because she may be getting enough fluid in the food depending on how you are making it.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

And if her gums are moist then she is not dehydrated.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

You can not force a dog to drink. If her gums are dry then you can use an eye dropper or syringe to give her water, puppy milk replacer, or children's pedialyte drink. You can also add water or puppy milk replacer to the food.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am feeding her puppy chow which is what I feed my other 7 month old puppy. I have added water and let it sit until it absorbed all the water and was mushy. Her gums nor mouth do not look dry. So I am guessing she is getting the fluids she desires right now! Just got worried.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I think she is getting enough water in the puppy chow.

If she were mine, I would check her gums every few hours.

I would also have an eye dropper or syringe on hand just in case.

Then if her gums feel dry you can give her water, puppy milk replacer, low sodium broth, or pedilatye with a syringe or eye dropper.

In general to maintain hydration, a dog would need to intake 1 ml of fluid per each pound of dog per hour.

For example, a 10 pound puppy would need to take in 10 mls of fluid per hour.

The fluid in the food counts.

Also monitor her urine. If the urine is dark yellow, and not dilute and clear, she is not getting enough fluid.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Still keep water out so she learns to drink. It is good she has an older sibling who can teach her many things like going the bathroom outside and drinking water.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?