Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog Arto was neutered yesterday s scrotum is red and

Customer Question

My dog Arto was neutered yesterday his scrotum is red and swollen and he is dripping blood. I have taken him back to the vets and they say he has had a severe reaction and they are currently re operating to see what is going on. What could it be and what could have caused it? Will he be ok?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about Arto's situation. In a situation where post a neuter there is a lot of swelling and blood from the incision, these are the considerations I have.

1) Post operative minor bleeding into the tissues there that causes a hematoma to form and then it will drain due to this through the incision. This can happen with any neuter as there can be some small bleeder vessels that take longer to stop hemorrhaging.

2) A coagulation issue. Some dogs could have underlying blood clotting problems that physically make them not clot well. This could be hereditary or acquired (got into rat / mouse poison).

3) A ligature on the bigger vessel to the testicles has slipped and there is more of a significant hemorrhage from this.

In all honesty, the most common thing is the slight bleed after the surgery and a hematoma formation that isn't due to any specific ligature slip or bleeding issue. I'm hoping things go well with him.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Arto. How is everything going?