Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 12 year old Doberman has started to destroy things when

Customer Question

My 12 year old Doberman has started to destroy things when we are gone from the house. At first she started going into the basement and digging in an old mattress, to the extent that she has dug all of the insides out of it. She will take any towls or rug and scratch at them and move them around the house. Tonight I came home and she had completely taken everything out of a closet (toilet paper, travel bags, towels) and just trashed it. She someone managed to also lock herself into a room by knocking things over. I will start kenneling her when I am not home but I feel that this will cause more stress. Help!!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I apologize that no one was available to help you sooner. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

It sounds like you are dealing with a little separation anxiety and it is possible that could be being made worse by a condition called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. This condition is similar to dementia in humans. While not normally main cause of separation anxiety it can increase the effects.

We do have medications that can treat both conditions so it would be good to talk to your vet. I do want to say that many vets will suggest using a sedative called Ace Promizine. I try to avoid this medication in cases such as this because it really does nothing to reduce anxiety it simply results in an anxious dog that can not move very well.

There are some things you can try at home before going to prescription medications.

* Get a DAP pheromone collar. This is a collar that releases stress reducing pheromones.

* Over the counter Melatonin is very helpful for managing separation anxiety and in some dogs even helps with cognitive dysfunction. JUst be sure to check that there is no xylitol in the ingredients. The following link will cover the use of and dosing for this supplement LINK

* VetriScience also carries a great product called composure chews LINK

If you find that none of this works and kenneling her makes her more anxious then I would suggest having her seen by your vet for bloodwork ( low thyroid and liver disease can cause behavior changes) and to discuss the use of prescription medication.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions. If all of your questions have been answered please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy