Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I'm switching my 25 lb pugs from vetsolin to novulin.

Customer Question

I'm switching my 25 lb pugs from vetsolin to novulin for price. Currently they take 5 units of u40 vetsolin how does that translate to u100 novulin? They have done well on both. I can longer afford Vetsolin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You'll need u100 syringes for the Novolin but 5 units of Novolin in a u100 syringe may not have an equivalent effect of 5 units of Vetsulin (given in a u40 syringe). Some dogs require an increase in dosage when switching from Vetsulin to Novolin while others require a decrease in dosage. To be safe it would be prudent to lower the dosage 20% (give 4 units of Novolin in a u100 syringe) and recheck a blood glucose curve in 3 days just as you did when you first regulated your dogs. Your initial expense is going to be compensated by being able to use the less expensive Novolin in the long run.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey And Gia. How is everything going?