Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dr. Deb, Ming has a tumor on her paw. I trust you remember

Customer Question
Dr. Deb, Ming...
Dr. Deb, Ming has a tumor on her paw. I trust you remember the picture I sent you a couple weeks ago. We did take her to the vet and she wanted to remove it. I was treating it and noticing a positive difference so obviously wanted to save the expense as well as other factors. What I need to know now is what I can use to treat the odor that is coming from it (if anything).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/18/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

I remember Ming's tumor/paw very well although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you posted your new question about it/her.

I'm glad that you had Ming seen by your vet and can't say that I'm terribly surprised that they suggested surgery.

I can also understand why you might be reluctant to do so.

Unfortuantely, I don't think there's much that you're going to be able to do about the odor which is most likely secondary to infection or emanating from the mass itself (especially if this is cancer). Keeping it clean with dilute betadine should help, of course. Antibiotics might help although they don't in every case.

Cancerous masses tend to have an odor all their own when open to the air and exposed like this mass is...even though she's wearing a boot (which is an excellent idea by the way). I've never found anything to be effective in masking this odor.

Since you're treating it topically, I do have another suggestion to make in addition to what you're using: Honey has been used on wounds for a long time but has received new interest for its healing benefits. But all honey is not created equal: medicinal honey is the best. Medihoney or Manuka Honey are products that would be good to use. These are available on the internet but are expensive. I don't expect them to heal the the mass, of course, but it may help slow down the progression and who knows? Perhaps it may help with the smell.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful but I'm truly glad to hear that she's doing as well as she apparently is doing. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ming. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
I haven't tried the honey yet but the Sandlewood and Frankincense that I have been using are still seeming to help. She ate two meals today and has much more energy and excitment about things.
I have been taking her for short walks as well and she seems to do just fine. I let her lead the way.
thank you for asking. I will contact you again if need be.
Terri

Terri:

I'm really impressed that you're achieving success and that she otherwise appears to be relatively unaffected by her mass. I'll hope that this continues to be the case.

I would appreciate updates from time to time if you have a chance; I'd like to know how she fares. Kind regards, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian