Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 3y/o dog has recently had an eruption of scabs between s

Customer Question

My 3y/o dog has recently had an eruption of scabs between his shoulder blades. No change in diet, no evidence of fleas, no excessive scratching and he is monitored 24/7. He is checked for ticks daily, and had one bite 5 WKs ago. Only medication is meloxicam pen for a crutiate strain.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eruptions seem to be in various stages of progression, almost like chicken pox.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for requesting me. I am sorry I was offline when your question came in .

Usually a food allergy in dogs would more come out in a rash along the belly inner thighs area not the shoulder blades. There is cortisone for dogs if you want to try that.

It could be due to a contact allergy, so Benadryl can also be given. It is dosed at 1 to 2 mg per pound of body weight . Use Benadryl allergy not the allergy /sinus

The Lab is prone to things like dermatitis so adding omega fatty acids to the daily diet can help the skin and coat. Coconut oil does wonders for a dog's skin and coat.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

All the above being said , if it does not get better then you may need a skin scraping to find out if you are dealing with bacterial (which it sounds like), fungal or yeast infection of the skin. Each will require a different medication from your Vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has changed in his diet, he already gets omega 3/6 in his food, and Benadryl cream and oral has had no effect. He does not seem to be scratching. And I have checked for fleas/ticks etc. He has no sores anywhere else, just between shoulders where vets usually give injections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a medical question, I'm not sure why it's being answered by a dog training consultant
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I can switch you over to a vet or vet tech. You got me because you requested me. Wishing you the best of luck with your boy:)

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin speaking: Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. A focal pyoderma is most consistent with your description. The scabbing is likely to cover epidermal collarettes most suggestive of a Staph infection. This is best addressed with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin dosed at 10 mg/lb twice daily for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Shampooing the area in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten remission.

Please respond with a photo (a macro lens is best for a close up of the skin) and further questions or concerns if you wish.