Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

15 year old yorkie...favoring left nd leg.

Customer Question
15 year old yorkie...favoring left...
15 year old yorkie...favoring left hind leg.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/16/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of falls, trauma, injury?

Can she put any weight on it at all?

Any sores, wounds, tender areas, instability or boney crunching when you feel the leg?

Any discomfort when you flex or extend all her joints?

Is she holding the leg up or dragging it?

she holds it up but doe put it down a little bit to walk....she hasn't got any wound that is visable..she does have doggie stairs to get up and down...she hates hardwood floors and does have problems with the stairs sometimes....she jumps off them...
not dragging it....and is peacefully sleeping now...which i am not

Thank you,

First, if she is resting comfortably, that is positive and a good sign that we are not in a situation where she is in severe pain. As well, I am glad that she can put it down for even a moment, as not being able to do so can be a sign of hip dislocation. Furthermore, since she can feel it and the leg feels stable, we'd be most concerned that we just have a muscle strain/sprain possibly related to underlying arthritis +/- a recent slip on the stairs or slick flooring.

Now with this in mind, the first point of call as you have is to restrict her activity. Therefore, we don't want her jumping on/off furniture, using stairs or doing anything that would exacerbate this strain. Furthermore, for the next few days, we'd want to rest her and just offer a few short lead walks in the garden to do her business and then back to resting.

As well, as long her discomfort is mild and she isn't overtly acting painful, you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support her joints. And these are ideal for long term support in a dog her age. For example, you can consider supplementing her with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give thisat a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe her inflammation and get her more comfortable quicker.

Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Again more of a long term option, but it can help this soreness and any from aged related joint issues. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for her as well.

Also, as long as she is amenable, you can also warm compress her sore leg. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles,soothe the soreness and help reduce any swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Finally, if you feel that she is very sore, then we'd want to consider seeing her vet for a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior. These are good anti-inflammatories for dogs and can get her back on her feet quicker.

Overall, based on your description, we'd be less worried about dislocations, nerve damage or full thickness fractures but would be concerned about sprains/strains to the muscle causing her signs. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to ease her soreness and help her settle. And if she is very sore or isn't improving over the next few days, then we'd want to speak to her vet about those strong dog specific pain relief options to get her back on her feet and feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

thank you very much...i have been thinking of course all kinds of horrible things...i know there is always a possibiity that this could be a symptom of something worse...but it came on very quickly....all considered...she was alone all day and seemed less active earlier and then when she got up this leg issue presented...she may have been hiding it from me...she is precious as all owners say about their dogs...but i do thank you for your quick response...maybe i can sleep now thank you

You are very welcome,

With the speed of onset and if she was home alone, I suspect she has had a slip, strained a muscle, and that is why you initially just saw reduced activity before lameness. So, again we'd just rest, support, and monitor in situations like this. And often if it is not severe, they will settle within a few days (just like us with sprained ankles).

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian