Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

It's been a week my dog has been breaking out in ves and now

Customer Question
Nancy it's been a week...
Nancy it's been a week my dog has been breaking out in hives and now she's throwing up some yellow looking stuff and I've tried everything
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/15/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify for me, please, what "I've tried everything" implies? If hives and wheals - a delayed hypersensitivity reaction - doesn't respond satisfactorily to an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 1-2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) up to thrice daily Maryjane's vet can administer an antihistaminic corticosteroid such as prednisone and prescribe a course of that steroid to be dosed at home if need be. It should be quite effective. These reactions can result from an envenomation, vaccination, food, drug, parasiticide, environmental allergen such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, environmental variables such as temperature and humidity changes, and even various stressors. We think of a food allergy because vomiting is also seen but reactions to other antigens can also nauseate.

I would see how prednisone affects Maryjane and if the response to it isn't sufficient consider a hypoallergenic food trial. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Maryjane's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference) - not i/d which isn't necessarily hypoallergenic for Maryjane. A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maryjane. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian