Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is 9 years old, 25 lbs and continues to get UTI and

Customer Question

My dog is 9 years old, 25 lbs and continues to get UTI and crystals. This last time she also had a blood clot. My vet is now suggesting surgery for a recessed vulva but I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If your dog is continually getting uti's then usually it is result of having a recessed vulva and surgical correction is a good options to help stop bacteria from continually multiplying in the folds of the vulva and contaminating the urinary tract. It won't help crystal formation though. Often owners will start with keeping the vulva bacteria free by using antibacterial wipes on the vulva after urination and a few other times during the day.

I do think vulvoplasty is a good solution if your dog is healthy enough for surgery. I do recommend preop bloodwork be done to ensure orgran function is good. Read more on the procedure here:

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/ug_episioplasty_vulvoplasty.html

You do need to weight the health benefits with the surgical risks and of course the costs as well. It does significantly cut down on bacterial urinary tract infection.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would her losing weight make any difference at this stage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I decide to go the route of the surgery can you tell me the vet in the Charlotte NC area that has the most experience with this?

If she is currently overweight, getting her weight down would help along with the antibacterial wipes. A lean dog has a lot less vulva folds than an overweight dog. Remember though that it is not going to affect UTI's from crystals. Most surgeons should have experience with this procedure. I do know that in Apex nc is harmony animal hospital. That is over 2 hours from charlotte. They are very experienced in the procedure. Here is their page on vulvoplasty.

http://harmonyanimalhospital.net/services/episioplasty/

I do think in this case, I'd seek a second opinion in a different vet practice before having surgery done since crystals are also present.

Hi Becky,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?