Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12 week old cavalier. she just finished medicine.

Customer Question

i have a 12 week old cavalier. she just finished medicine for deworming. when she eats and drinks water she does so really fast and her stomach bloats up like a huge balloon. last night after she drank her water she bloated instantly and started crying. she burped a couple of times and seemed to get some relief. is this something i need to be concerned about. i did take her to vet one evening after this and they did and X-ray and confirmed it was gas.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did Zander's vet note any issues with her stomach on xray (ie compression by something else, malformation, etc) that could be making her more prone to bloating?

Do you feed wet or dry food?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he did not mention anything about the X-ray. I feed him dry food with a little bit of wet food mixed in. He eats three times a day. He acts like he is starving every time he eats and usually cleans his bowl. I am assuming that was because of his worms. He had really bad diarrhea for 3 weeks but that is a lot better now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feed him NOW dry puppy food and Weruva wet food. They are both from the health food store.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to heat that his vet doesn't suspect anything sinister in regards ***** ***** stomach. If we can put issues directly related to the stomach itself, we can then focus on the inputs (food, water, etc) that we are having issue with.

To start, worms can drive an appetite but some dogs will be greedier then others. So, if he still has a ravenous appetite after worming, it is more likely that is a characteristic of him as opposed to something being triggered by another source. Furthermore, if he is a keen and fast eater that doesn't take into consideration how full his stomach can be filled, then he may be partly to blame for what we are seeing. Especially if you are feeding dry food. The reason is because dry food expands when in contact with fluids (stomach acid, water he drinks after eating, etc). So, if he fills that stomach with dry quickly, it is going to all expand, and cause bloating. As well, the digestion stress on his good gut microflora can lead to excess gas formation.

Therefore, since you have addressed worms already, the next step is to address your husbandry here. To do so, you can consider offering a full wet food diet (since it is already expanded) or plan to soak his kibble (so it expands before he eats it) before meals. As well, since he is eating quickly, it'd be ideal to split his meals into a few smaller ones with 30minute minimum breaks between them. This will give his stomach a chance to process each portion and move it into the intestines before he has more.

Finally, if he is prone to gas with this, I would note that we tend to find low soy diets of benefit here. As well, it can help to feed activated charcoal (which comes as a powder to mix into food or is an ingredient in special digestive biscuits) and offer dog specific probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Protexin Enterogenic). So, those too would be of benefit here.

Overall, based on Zander's history, the worms don't sound to be the only culprit here. Therefore, we'd want to use the above steps to prevent him from overfilling his stomach and thus causing this "food/gas bloat." As well, those other supportive measures would be ideal here to further reduce the risk of gas build up for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )