Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our pet retriever was swimming in our local lake yesterday

Customer Question
hi our pet retriever was...
hi our pet retriever was swimming in our local lake yesterday evening for an hour or so and this morning he wont come when called,in fact he walks away from us and hides down the garden. he is a great friend to all of us and is acting very strange,he is dribbling constantly and just tried to be sick.at one point by the lake he was playing on the bank and looked at me and gave a little yelp which I could not understand.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/13/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would liketo help you with your wee one today.

By dribbling, do you mean drooling?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything at the lake that he should not have (ie bones, stones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

hi he may have swallowed some of the lake,and yes he is drooling,he hadn't eaten anything since Saturday morning but I just gave him 2 salmon fillets and he ate them so maybe hes on the mend,dont want to speak to soon though,i will keep an eye on him tonight and see what he is like in the morning.
thank you for youre reply.
ian

Thank you Ian,

Based on his signs, Doug does sound to have quite severe nausea that is causing the drooling, retching, and appetite loss. The salmon was a good light diet option and I am glad to hear that he has kept it down. Further to that, I would note that you can start him on small meals of this with rice or substitute the salmon with white fish, boiled chicken, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese. All are nice easy to digest protein sources and tend to be better tolerated by the upset GI.

Otherwise, I would note that we can try to reduce that nausea with an antacid at this point. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if Doug has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this sounds like a potential gastroenteritis and may be related to what he drank from the lake. Of course, we do need to monitor for those other signs I noted, in case he could have eaten something non-edible. But if he is settling, then the above should help with that and hopefully we will just get him back to feeling like himself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Ian,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Doug. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian