Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a 10 year old wire hair and he has been walking

Customer Question

Hi I have a 10 year old wire hair ***** ***** and he has been walking lamely for the last two weeks and won't jump up stairs or anything. So we took him to the vet just this past Tuesday and the vet used pliers to prod against his back and felt something being out of place. He has also been screaming when picked up with one hand and needs to be picked up carefully with two now. The vet also watched him walk and saw an arch in his posture. He also stumbles a little bit in his back legs when standing still. So the vet prescribed him with an anti inflammatory and muscle relaxer. We have been giving him proper doses as instructed, since Tuesday afternoon. Tonight he has been acting weird and would scream or snap at any place we touch him. He is now laying down but I measured his respiratory rate to be 100 breaths per minute. This has been ongoing for the last 15 minutes and all the vets are closed and the nearest ER is 3 hours away. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry that a vet was not available when your question was posted. I am online now and wanted to see what the status is with Chewie if you are available.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I apologize, I am not in need of an answer any longer. Unfortunately we ended up going straight to the ER and they did an MRI on him and diagnosed him with cancer. He had mass in his prostate and was said to be the site of the cancer also found in his L7 vertebrae. We had no choice but to put him to sleep since the vets said his prognosis was low and recovery would be unfair.Thanks for following up though.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for writing back. I'll be thinking of you during this difficult time.