Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I think my dog just ate a sports glove (thin strechy

Customer Question

Hi Ann,
I think my dog just ate a sports glove (thin strechy material). She is 60lb, do I need to take her to the vet?
I think she ate it because she had it in her mouth and I got distracted for two seconds and then I could not find it.
What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I would induce vomiting by giving 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Make sure that your peroxide is new within the past year or two, or it may not work.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Then wait 15 minutes, and if the dog does not vomit, give another 2 tablespoons.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

If the dog vomits up the glove, that is all you need to do. If there is no glove in the vomit, consider that the dog may not have eaten it, or just watch for signs of obstruction over the next week. Signs of obstruction would include vomiting, not wanting to eat, or straining to defecate.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann,I gave her 4 table spoons of hydrogen peroxide and she has not vomited yet. Is it too late? this happened around 6:45pm
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

And your peroxide is new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought it at the drug store, can it be bad? I won't expire it until next year =(
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

You can try giving a third dose, and then run the dog around a lot right after it. The glove is likely still in the stomach. If that doesn't work, I would feed a bland diet of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice for the next 3-4 days, and mix 2-3 tablespoons of mineral oil (MUST be mineral oil, no other kind) with each meal, and monitor stools. See your vet if you see any signs of obstruction as listed above. Good luck!

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Good luck!