Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My havanese tore her crucial element ligament and has a

Customer Question

My havanese tore her crucial element ligament and has a luxating patella..the vet wrapped it but it keeps slipping...can I add to the wrap rather than taking back to vet every 3 days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

When an external fixator such as a wrap is likely to be necessary indefinitely which would be the case for most cruciate tears and all patellar luxations, a brace rather than wrap should be considered. Please see here: http://www.orthopets.com/ and click on "brace and prosthetic solutions">"back leg solutions">stifle. To answer you directly, adding to wraps and thus adding to their weight is likely to only encourage more slippage and should be avoided. Even 20 days of wrapping isn't likely to suffice for Bogi. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bogi. How is everything going?