Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 3 year old border collie/Australian Shepard. He

Customer Question
doesn't really have much energy...
I have a 3 year old border collie/Australian Shepard. He doesn't really have much energy. He's kind of always been like that after the puppy stage. He might play for a minute and then he just lays down. His joints aren't sore. Is that normal for this kind of dog? I'm not sure if I should take him to the Vet or it's just his disposition.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
9/2/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

When he sits down during play, does he seem out of breath? Do his gums look pale?

Has he ever seemed like he was going to faint or was wobbly when he would lay down?

He doesn't seem out of breath. He enjoys long walks, but doesn't like to jog. It doesn't appear as if he has any joint problems.He is never wobbly and never seems like he is going to faint. He lives to eat food. His gums are pink. Sometimes he has bad breath. It smells like fish. Thank you for your time.

Hi again,

If you were to jog him, does he lag behind or seem to become winded quickly?

If my daughter goes jogging with him, yes. he can go about a quarter mile and then he is kind of a pain to go running with because he can't or won't keep up.Steve

Thank you Steve,

First, in regards ***** ***** initial question, this is not typical of any collie breed dog. Of course, he could be the rare exception, but they are notorious for being highly active, high energy, and most are able to go long distances with no bother. So, to hear that a young border collie cross (which to be fair Aussies are very active too) is lagging on jogs makes me concerned that there is something underlying.

Now if we can rule out joint issues, then I have to say that I am concerned to whether he has an underlying heart issue. Dogs with asymptomatic heart conditions often show little signs of issue until pushed to exercise. They will then lag on walks, pant heavily, some may sit down to take a break and refuse to go. For severe cases, we can see wobbliness and fainting as well. So, while I am glad that the doesn't have any fainting, this just raises concerns of an early stage (or birth based) heart issue.

In this case, I do think a check up would be ideal. His vet can have a good feel of those joints to make sure he doesn't have any underlying issues (ie hip dysplasia) that he is hiding from you. As well, they can listen and potentially scan the heart (echocardiogram) to see if it is functioning as it should. Depending on their findings, they can advise you if he is a rarity in his breed or if one of these issues is lurking and needs addressing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Hi Steve,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ole. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian