petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 11 year old doxie woke this am with a load cry. When he

Customer Question

My 11 year old doxie woke this am with a load cry. When he is lying down , he is comfortable and resting, but when he gets up, he frys again. He was crated as normal for bed, so whatever is going on had to occur I the crate. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Based on your description of symptoms and his breed, the top of the list suspicion would be a ruptured or buldging disc in his neck or back. These are very painful and can occur without any trauma or reason. In some cases, they will manifest as pain only but it can progress to partial loss of function of the legs or even paralysis. Cage rest is a big part of the treatment as well as anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds while the spinal cord swelling resolves. If it is not improving or if it is getting worse, surgery is sometimes an option.

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs and it diagnosis and treatment.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shannon Sullivan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shannon Sullivan. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.