Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog had what I assumed was a bug bite on s face but he's

Customer Question

My dog had what I assumed was a bug bite on his face but he's been scratching so it's turned into a cut. I've been using Neosporin but not sure if I should take him to the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine health. With a situation like you described you need to stop the itching to stop the scratching. What I suggest is using Plain Benedryl to do this. It may make the dog a bit sleep but should stop the itching and the scratching. You can use 1 mg per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours. Continue to clean the area and follow up with the Neosporin on the face. If the scratching gets worse or the cut does not look like it is healing, then you should see the Vet for an antibiotic and something stronger for the itching.

Joan