Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 5 lb. poodle/pekingnese poodle who ate a 1mg

Customer Question
Chantix. It has been 15...
I have a 5 lb. poodle/pekingnese poodle who ate a 1mg Chantix. It has been 15 minutes. She has thrown up 4 times. I don't see the Chantix in what she threw up. What can I expect to happen now? Do I need to take her to a vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
8/26/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has it been 15 minutes since she ate it? Or since the vomiting stopped?

What did you see in her vomit?

It has been 50 minutes since she ate it. She has thrown up about 6 or 7 times now. It has been 10 minutes since she threw up the last time. I did not see the pill in the throw up but she chewed the pill before swalling it. Most of what she has thrown up is food, foam and yellow stuff. She seems to be done throwing up now.
She is 5 months old

Thank you,

Now Chantix is a drug with a wide safety margin. So, if she only had a milligram, that works out to a 0.45mg/kg dose for her. And that is much lower then what we would usually treat as a toxicity. So, while we could see some self-limiting GI upset (ie appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea), we’d not expect any major issue here.

Now in regards ***** ***** at this stage, you can choose to err on the side of caution and administer activated charcoal to her. Or you can choose to monitor and treat for any stomach upset that may arise.

If you did want to treat with activated charcoal, this is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas). It works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled whitefish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this,we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is not a large dose and therefore GI upset is our main concern as far as adverse effects are concerned. Therefore, if her vomiting seems to be settling we can use one or both of the above steps to settle her stomach and reduce any upset for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Thank you. That is very helpful. She just seems to want to be held right now so I am going to sit quietly with her and then follow all other advice. I really appreciate your help.

You are very welcome,

That is fine. We can all appreciate how unsettled she will feel with all the vomiting she has had. But once she seems a bit more steady on her stomach, you can use the above for her as needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian