Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 6 mo old miniature schnauzer ate about 1/4 of a

Customer Question

My 6 mo old miniature schnauzer ate about 1/4 of a progesterone capsule. How dangerous is this and should I take her to the vet. It is evening after hrs here in Texas
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How many mg of progesterone did your dog swallow?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

3. How long ago did this happen ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Further question : Was this a birth control pill ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I have been standing by for your reply, unfortunately I now have to sign off due to prior commitment.

However I will opt out now so that another vet can help you with your problem.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

It appears your first expert had to leave and go offline. Can I be of help? How is she doing? I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It will help if you can tell me anything about the name or strength of the pill she got. Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She ingested about 1/4 of a 100mg capsule of progesterone. This is not Birth control. I got the capsule out of her mouth. It was intact but she had white medicine powder in her mouth. She seems fine. Just wondering if it will show up long term
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that information. Glad to hear she seems OK.

So it sounds like she got less than 25 mg, if you got the capsule out of her mouth. Assuming she is around 20 pounds? A one time dose that small, less than 1 mg per pound, would only be of concern if she were pregnant. I would not expect long term side effects.

Is she spayed? There is a small possibility that she could have ovary/uterus problems but if she is spayed that is not a concern.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

More research: with estrogen, there can be long term side effects with a large dose, but not with progesterone. A large dose could cause some sedation, but you would have seen that by now. She should be fine.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Does this help; can I answer or help with anything else?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your answer. It eases my mind. However, she is only 11 lbs and 6 mos old. She will be spayed next week.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything else. This should not affect her being spayed next week.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can always get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Let me know how her surgery goes!