petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I HAVE A NEUTER HUSKY, SHE KEEPS HAVE UTI AND NOW IS HAVING

Customer Question

I HAVE A NEUTER HUSKY BITCH, SHE KEEPS HAVE UTI AND NOW IS HAVING A WETTING PROBLEM WHEN SHE SLEEPS,
I TOOK HER TO THE VET AND SHE IS ON CLAVAMOX FOR ITI AND OXYBUTYNIN FOR BLADDER CONTROL. I AM NOT GETTING RESULT FROM THE OXYBUTYNIN THE DOG HAS BEEN ON THIS MEDS FOR AT LEAST 13 DAYS. I FEEL THE UTI IS GONE BUT NOT THE LEAKING. I DO PLAN TO TAKE HER BACK TO THE VET BUT WANT TO TRY PROPALIN INSTEAD HELP JANE
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How frequently has she been having UTI's? Has her urine been cultured to see if bacteria are present?

Has she had an xray or ultrasound of the bladder to look for possible causes for the recurrence like stones or tumors?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has had about 4 UTI and they said the way she was neutered , yes she has a urine culture which showed bacteria . no sonogram or x ray has been done. that is my next step she is eating well and goes for walks the dog is squatting most of the time .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is drinking , I had to shave her and i have a spray for her private parts .
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes she definitely should have some sort of imaging of her bladder as that is very likely the reason for the recurrence of infections and the constant squatting while on walks. The way she was neutered should have no bearing on recurrence of infection. Also if she is having frequent UTI's, it would be ideal to pick an antibiotic based on the culture and sensitivity results. This tells us what bacteria are present and what antibiotic would be the best to treat it. These cases with frequent recurrence are best treated with at least 30 days of the appropriate antibiotic and then at the end of treatment another culture should be checked to verify that her urine is sterile. Some dogs with hooded vulvas or excessive skin folds in the vulvar region do have problems with frequent UTI's due to bacteria on the skin ascending to the urethra and bladder, but it is critical to differentiate if they are clearing up an recurring, or not resolving completely. That is why the culture performed at the end of treatment is important to verify that it did indeed resolve and not just become asymptomatic (without symptoms).

The urinary incontinence (leaking while she sleeps) is most likely due to urethral sphincter incompetence or a weak urethral muscle. This can be a problem that occurs in neutered female dogs, but also occurs in males and intact dogs at times as well. This would not explain the frequent squatting however. The drug of choice in most of these cases is phenylpropanolamine or propalin but that will need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. Oxybutynin does not help this type of problem.

So it appears as if she may be having two separate urinary problems. The first is the leaking which is a complication of aging and lack of estrogen hormone which is often managed with chronic propalin. The second is the urinary urgency which most likely is due to bladder inflammation or irritation and most likely could be due to bladder stones or tumor and needs to be worked up further. The leaking will not be well controlled until the second problem is identified and treated. You will have to work with your your veterinarian to get these under control.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I will talk to my vet. I know that something is not right with the treatment . I do want a sonogram and a cause of her frequent UTI 's this is the first time she has had a leaking problem . thanks again jane
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Good luck with her and please keep me posted as to how things progress.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kuhlua. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.