Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I just noticed blood coming from my dogs ear...he is asking

Customer Question

I just noticed blood coming from my dogs ear...he is asking his head a lot and holds his head tilted and the ear is now droopy...not erect like normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

How much blood would you estimate is there?

Does he seem painful in that ear?

Does that ear have a bad smell to it?

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Does he seem painful in that ear?

Does that ear have a bad smell to it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Smells like blood, enough blood to fill 1/2 a paper towel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doesn't seem painful, meaning he doesn't whine when touched but also try's to get away from me when I do.
when you touch around it, but concerned about his not holding head
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

When you take into account the bleeding, the floppy ear and the fact he's been shaking his head, I strongly suspect he's got a pretty significant ear infection going on.

Although it's uncomfortable for him, I don't think you need to rush him to the emergency vet tonight. You can give your own vet a call first thing in the morning and have them take a peek at him. They'll likely want to get him on both topical and oral antibiotics to get that ear to clear up and get it feeling more comfortable.

If he seems incredibly painful or uncomfortable tonight, or if he's still bleeding quite a bit, the you should consider having him seen at the emergency vet tonight. If you're not sure where one is, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

I'd absolutely get him seen tomorrow at the latest though.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

You're very welcome.

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer tonight...touch base with me after the vet and let me know how he's doing.