How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Morgan Burger Your Own Question
Morgan Burger
Morgan Burger,
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Veterinarian, Associate at Hillside Veterinary Assoc
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Morgan Burger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Rottweiler bit into a tide pod. Most of it was still

Customer Question

My Rottweiler bit into a tide pod. Most of it was still intact, but she definitely injected some. No vomiting after a couple of hours but breathing a bit rapidly. Should I intervene?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Morgan Burger replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Dr Morgan and I'm a practicing veterinarian. I hope I can help you and Haley.

Tide pod ingestion can cause GI upset and oral ulcerations. If only a very small amount was ingested, encouraging water consumption and monitoring a patient for vomiting and diarrhea would be appropriate. A patient should also be monitored for 12-24 hours for oral ulcerations that may develop.

If a large amount of the pod were ingested, taking the patient to your veterinarian for stomach protectants would be the course of action recommended. Below is some more information and a study involving pod ingestion in children.

Ingestion of laundry pods by children have resulted in gastrointestinal (irritation, vomiting, salivation, dysphagia), respiratory (aspiration and/or paryngeal/laryngeal swelling), ocular(corneal injury and/or conjunctivitis) and neurologic (somnolence/depression, seizure-like activity) abnormalities. More info here:

View in new window

Health hazards associated with laundry detergent pods - United States, May-June 2012.

MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. October 2012;61(41):825-9.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Article Abstract

During May and early June 2012, the Carolinas Poison Center and the Poison Control Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia received four reports of children with vomiting, mental status changes, and respiratory distress after ingesting the contents of laundry detergent pods. Laundry detergent pods are single-load capsules that contain concentrated liquid detergent within a water-soluble membrane that dissolves when in contact with moisture. Laundry detergent pods were introduced in the U.S. market in 2010, and multiple manufacturers now sell laundry detergent packaged in pods (2-4). On May 17, 2012, CDC and the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) began tracking and characterizing reported exposures to laundry detergent from pods. During May 17-June 17, 2012, poison centers reported 1,008 laundry detergent exposures to the National Poison Data System (NPDS), of which 485 (48%) exposures involved laundry detergent pods. Age was recorded for 481 exposures, of which 454 (94%) exposures involved children aged ≤5 years. Among children aged ≤5 years, a significantly greater proportion of those exposed to laundry detergent from pods had gastrointestinal and respiratory adverse health effects and mental status changes compared with those with non-pod laundry detergent exposures. Parents and caregivers should keep laundry detergent pods, as well as other household cleaning products, out of reach and out of sight of children. Health-care providers should be aware that exposure to laundry detergent from pods might be associated with adverse health effects more often than exposure to non-pod laundry detergents.

Free full-text:

I hope this answers your question and please let me know if I can be of further help.

Expert:  Morgan Burger replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Haley. How is everything going?
Morgan Burger