Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I'm looking to adopt a Cavapoo puppy and become a 1st time

Customer Question

Hi. I'm looking to adopt a Cavapoo puppy and become a 1st time dog owner. I've read that reputable breeders will have documentation of genetic testing done on the parents. Is this documentation important to have for a mixed breed dog, as well as a pure breed? There are only a few breeders in my area, and they say they do not do genetic testing on the parents, but that the parents are healthy. Please advise. Also, please let me know anything else you suggest for finding a reputable breeder.
Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Genetic testing is a plus when buying any dog. However, many breeders do not do genetic testing on all their dogs. Some testing is not even able to be performed until a dog is a certain age like 2 years old for hip testing. Many breeders will examine a dogs pedigree and look for health testing on the ancestors in an attempt to ensure the dog has a good chance of being healthy and free of genetic issues. Some genetic issues do not show up until later in life so even if they are health tested, a breeding dog might develop issues after the testing was done.
With a mixed breed dog, there is even a lower chance of finding one that is doing health testing since the dog is not a purebred. Unfortunately, these breeders of what they call "designer" dogs are usually charging just as much for a mixed breed as breeders of purebreds do.
Now if the pup your are looking at is the result of a cross between two purebred dogs, then you really don't know what the pup is going to end up looking like. If the pup is the result of two dogs that are cavapoos, then you have a better chance of a predictable look. Personally, if I was going to buy a mixed breed, I'd go to the local animal shelters and look at the classifieds and pet ads on craigslist and similar classifieds. There are many mixed puppies available that won't cost you over a hundred dollars. You might even find a cavapoo though they probably will just tell you the mother and father's breed. One place to look would be petfinders.
https://www.petfinder.com/
So to sum up, documentation on health testing and genetic testing would be best, ***** ***** a mixed breed, I wouldn't expect them to have it unless they are a reputable breeder attempting to further the breed and help the breed become recognized by reputable registries like AKC. Here is a page from the AKC on this.
http://www.akc.org/press-center/facts-stats/page-8/
Persoanlly I would never pay more than a nominal fee for a mixed breed dog. I have a cocker spaniel / American eskimo dog mix breed. He didn't even cost me $25 from the pound. He is less than 30 pounds and looks like an american eskimo dog but a little larger. I've seen lots of pekepoos and chipoos in the rescues and pounds that I work with. Many of them are pups. Another place you might look is breed rescues for both the breeds. Often rescues will take in mixed pups and find them good homes.
I hope I have answered your question and not upset you with my suggestion of adopting from a rescue or animal control instead. If I have, I do apologize. I just hate to see people pay that much money for a dog that is basically a mixed breed especially since without registration papers, the father could be any breed.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm following up to see if you found my answer helpful in your decision to purchase the cavapoo?